OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2010

From:
Jay Stenger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jay Stenger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Nov 2010 01:43:12 -0500
Mark Gilsdorf, Harris Abramson and myself were the only ones remaining from a Cincinnati Bird Club field trip when we saw an adult winter plumaged Red-necked Grebe on Acton Lake in Hueston Woods State Park late Sunday afternoon November 14th.

We first saw the grebe on Acton Lake around 2:45 pm as we were looking south towards the dam from the fishing pier at the Sugar Camp. We then moved to the dam around 3:15 pm. hoping to improve our view but the grebe remained well off shore from that perspective as well. There were rafts of ducks in the same area but the grebe pretty much stayed to its self during our views.

The fishing pier is located on the west shore at about the lakes mid-point.

For a park map, location and other park information check the following link to the ODNR Hueston Woods website.

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/parks/parks/huestonw/tabid/745/Default.aspx

A complete report of the Cincinnati Bird Clubs field trip can be found at the following link.

http://cincinnatibirds.com/goodbird/sighting.php

Jay Stenger

Cincinnati, Ohio