OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2007

From:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Nov 2007 15:36:39 -0800
Ann and I checked out the lakefront today between noon
and 2:30.  The pier was still open at Bradstreet's so
we walked all the way out.  From there we could see at
least a dozen Common Loons, some within 100 yards.
One even made a short call.  The lake was very flat
with fog gradually thickening as you looked away from
shore.  Probably more loons out in the fog.  About 400
yards directly west of the pier a raft of scoters
contained one White-winged.

Bradstreet's:   noon - 1:00

Common Loon             ~12
Horned Grebe            ~20
Black Scoter            ~25
Surf Scoter               2
WHITE-WINGED SCOTER       1
Red-breasted Merganser    many all flying west to east
Rocky River Park:  2:00 - 2:30

Common Loon               4
Horned Grebe            ~40
Black Scoter            ~45
Surf Scoter               8
White-winged Scoter       big "0"
        (too bad since the scoters were closer in
here)
Lesser Scaup              4
Bufflehead              ~10
Common Goldeneye          2
Red-breasted Merganser    many all flying west to east
                          and a couple in the water

Elmwood Park:  11:30 - noon  and 1:15 - 1:45
Looked for the Bohemian Waxwing.  No luck

Our backyard feeder:
Chipping Sparrow         1

John and Ann Edwards
Rocky River