OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2010

From:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jul 2010 16:02:22 -0700
I birded at Conneaut harbor from 6:45 AM until 4:00 PM today.  Although it was fairly slow in the morning and real slow in the afternoon, there were some good birds that showed up.  Numbers of birds were small with the exception of bank swallows.  Diversity was pretty good though.  There was very little beach traffic in the morning.  I was hoping for t-storms or at least rains, but no luck there.  Highlights were: 4 juv. hooded mergansers (flew in off the lake), the family group of 11 COMMON MERGANSERS (first seen there on 30 June, young mostly grown now), double-crested cormorants, 2 green herons, 8 bald eagles, osprey, WILLET (arrived at 7:45 and stayed all day), 10 lesser yellowlegs, spotted sandpiper, a WHIMBREL which came in for a close look at the spit but didn't put down (around 9:30), 7 sanderlings, 10 semipalmated sandpipers, 8 least sandpipers (first juv.), 4 pectoral sandpipers, STILT SANDPIPER, short-billed dowitcher, 4 Caspian terns,
 belted kingfisher, willow flycatcher, purple martins, 250 bank swallows, and 10+ yellow warblers.  On the way home along Rte. 7 in Ashtabula Co. I saw Am. kestrel, e. bluebird, and e. meadowlarks.  Craig Holt, Lowellville