From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 May 2015 07:14:20 -0400
I stopped at several isolated parks along the Scioto River in Columbus yesterday, finding lots of resident birds, but few migrants.  I visited Scioto Audubon, Berliner, Long St. Dam, and Sullivant Trace and found lots of singing birds.  The woods at Berliner and Sullivant Trace proved the best for catching and holding the few migrants that I found.  The list included:

Green Herons - 2 at both Scioto and Berliner was more than is usually along this stretch of river
Osprey - the nest is active in the old impound lot at Scioto; also had an adult fishing at Long St. Dam
Yellow-billed Cuckoo - 1 was calling from near the viewing pier near the Grange Audubon Center in Scioto Audubon
Flycatchers - lots of Pewees, Acadians, and Gr.Cresteds at nearly every stop.  Willows were at Scioto, Berliner, & Sullivant
Swallows - the expected quartet (Tree,Rough-w,Barn,&Cliff), with Cliff swallow colonies on both the I-70 and I-670 bridges
Vireos - plenty of Warbling & Red-eyed.  Also had a singing White-eyed in Berliner.
Thrushes - very few, with 2 Woods and 1 Swainson's, all in the deep woods of Berliner
Mimids - Catbirds were abundant, but Mockingbirds were also on their territories at Scioto Audubon

Warblers - Yellows & Yellow-throated were widespread residents, but also had 2 Prothonotaries at Scioto and another 2 at Berliner.  The only migrants were Chesnut-sided (Berliner), Blackpoll (Berliner), Magnolia (Sullivant Tr.), and Redstarts (several locations, 2 at Sullivant Tr.)

Buntings&Grosbeaks - Indigo Buntings were widespread, but there were no Grosbeaks, Blue or Rose-br.
Icterids - Baltimore Orioles were widespread, and Scioto had 2 singing male Orchard orioles