OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2014

From:
Paul Hurtado <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Hurtado <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Jan 2014 19:29:58 -0500
Congrats to Carl and Rob for such a great find!

Some info for those who chase this bird tomorrow:

I've tried to keep tabs on gull movements in the Columbus area, and it
seems there is a really good pattern of gulls roosting at the south end of
Alum Creek at night, then heading southwest in the morning to follow the
Scioto south along 315 towards the landfill. While people should definitely
check Alum Creek, Delaware and Hoover Reservoirs, personally, I'd focus on
Alum Creek down the Scioto towards the landfill.  Deer Creek Reservoir
might also be worth checking tomorrow p.m. if it isn't refound "up north".

At Alum Creek Reservoir, a good fraction of the roosting gulls will often
fly to the beach once they "wake up", before flying off to the southwest.
Best views are from the dam (park below the dam and walk up the stairs;
bring a scope and warm/windproof clothing!).  Later in the morning and
during the day, it could turn up anywhere on Alum Creek, Delaware, or
Hoover reservoirs, or anywhere along the Scioto south of 275 downstream to
the landfill.

If the bird isn't refound during the day tomorrow, and you can't make it up
to the reservoirs (or down to Deer Creek reservoir) to search for the bird,
I'd definitely check Ring-billed Gull flocks near Antrim Lake, the river
near OSU, the confluence area down to COSI, the Scioto-Audubon and
Greenlawn Ave bridge area, etc. Lots of hard-to-view water south of the
Haul Rd. quarry ponds off of 104 (south of Greenlawn Ave) so visit nearby
areas frequently assuming the bird moves around a bit.

Hopefully the bird cooperates, and sticks around in some place accessible!
:-)

Best,
-Paul Hurtado
Columbus, OH

--
Paul J. Hurtado
Postdoctoral Fellow, The Ohio State University

E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Webpage: http://people.mbi.ohio-state.edu/hurtado.10