Date:
Mon, 6 May 2013 06:58:31 -0700
This past weekend, a female birder was stopped along the auto tour route at Ottawa NWR by a man driving a bright blue Toyota.  She was out of her car, watching warblers, when he approached her.  She describes him as older, with a full, white beard and wearing dark-rimmed glasses.  He was driving the wrong way on the auto tour route, posing as a "park employee on his day off," stopping people and accosting them about being out of their cars.  He is not driving an official Fish & Wildlife vehicle, is not in uniform, and is not carrying any official ID.  HE IS NOT A REFUGE EMPLOYEE!

Since this episode occurred, he *has* been stopped, questioned and cited by real NWR officers, but there is no guarantee that he won't return or move to other birding areas to repeat his act.

If you see this person acting strangely, or indeed if you see any suspicious behavior along the auto tour, please take safety precautions for yourself, and also call 9-1-1 or the Ottawa Headquarters at (419) 898-0014 to report it.

Park officials and local authorities are aware of this guy, but we all need to be on the lookout for him, and also support our fellow birders out in the field.  While this applies to everyone, I want to stress safety in particular to my fellow female birders, especially if you are alone.  Please, be aware of your surroundings, and trust those little hairs that go up on the back of  your neck.  Your gut instinct is usually right.  Better safe than sorry!

Kathi Hutton
Clermont County, for birders in the Lucas and Ottawa County area