From:
Chris Caprette <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Caprette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 May 2014 14:15:49 -0400
I went to Frohring Meadows this morning and heard and saw some nice
stuff (listed below). When I got home and pulled in the driveway a great
blue heron flew from under our bird feeder with a chipmunk in its beak.
It took its rodent lunch down to the creek, presumably to finish it off.
I followed it down and saw it drown the little rodent and then swallow
it. I've seen a heron under our feeder occasionally before but I'd not
seen one take a chipmunk before. That was really cool! (Not so much for
the chipmunk I suppose). I had presumed it was under there foraging for
insects but now I'm thinking its taking the opportunity afforded by the
abundant furry little sausages.

Chris Caprette

Birds seen or heard at Frohring Meadows:

Trumpeter swans (four 1st summer juveniles flew in and landed in the
pond toward the back, ID based upon appearance and voice)
Lesser yellowlegs
Sora (heard at least two)
Bobolink
Tree swallow
Red-winged blackbird
Song sparrow
Savannah sparrow
Field sparrow
Eastern kingbird
Eastern bluebird
Wood thrush
Mallard
American crow
Great blue heron
Turkey vulture
American goldfinch
Yellow warbler
Gray catbird
Canada goose
House sparrow (with nests in at least two bluebird boxes)
Common grackle

---