OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2018

From:
Haans Petruschke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Haans Petruschke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 2018 16:59:02 -0500
Hi,

As those interested may recall, we have a research project at Holden
underway, to determine if our Ohio breeding Dark-eyed Juncos are year round
residents or migratory. During the breeding season of 2017 we banded 10
territorial male Dark-eyed Juncos in 4 locations around Kirtland and
Holden.  These birds were banded with both a federal band and color bands
under an extension of the banding permit.

During the non breeding season we have sought to find and document these
banded birds.  As of today we have successfully photographed banded birds
in all 4 of our study locations. In every case, the individual was
originally banded in the same general location as we have found it in the
non breeding season, indicating some site fidelity among these individuals
this year.

Next breeding season we hope to increase our sample size and diversity by
also banding females and fledglings.  Additionally we are attempting to
automate our data collection with the use of automatic feeders and trail
cameras in key locations.

This research is ongoing and we plan on at least another 4 years of data
collection.

The breeding range of Dark-eyed Junco in Ohio is currently limited to the
glaciated portion of the Allegheny Plateau in extreme NE Ohio.  Lake
Geauga, Ashtabula, Eastern Cuyahoga and Northern Summit Counties. Choice of
habitat for breeding is fairly diverse within this area, ranging from the
established Hemlock Ravine areas to sub urban yards, and even hanging
planters in central Geauga County.  My observation is the breeding habitat
requirements in the region are, good herbaceous layer, abundant leaf
litter, and a high quality running water source in the area.   Our study
areas all have these, and are in areas with Hemlock hardwood, and Beech
Maple forest types.

Haans

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>