OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2011

From:
Al La Sala <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Al La Sala <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Dec 2011 17:22:40 -0500
Sorry for the late post.  Friday afternoon I saw two cackling geese mixed
in with a flock of Canada geese standing next to the pond at Rings and
Frantz Rds. in Dublin.  I didn't have my camera with me at the time so I
tried to take a picture of them with my phone.  As soon as I reached for
it, they became aware of my presence, hopped in the pond and swam away.

Yesterday on the Hoover Christmas bird count the gray phase eastern
screech owl was absent from his cavity near Lake Otterbein in Westerville
and only one of the red phase screech owls was in the trestle bridge over
Alum Creek.  I went back today and the gray phase is back but there is
still only one red phase in the bridge.  We also just missed the great
horned owl yesterday.  I met someone who lives nearby who sais he saw an
owl being mobbed by crows in the exact spot we were looking for it.  From
his description, it sounds like a great horned owl.

Al La Sala
Columbus, OH