OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2015

From:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Oct 2015 01:47:07 +0000
The last two days I have gone to Villa Angela/Wildwood Parks on Lakeshore Blvd @ E. 174th St on the east side of Cleveland.  Both days have had strong northwest winds but yesterday was in the 50s and no much precip but today was in the 40s with sleet/rain throughout the day as I was there 11:10am to 5:20pm.  Many many Kinglets (more Ruby-crowned) many White-throated Sparrows, some White-crowned, Yellow-rumped Warblers, four Hermit Thrush today, one Swainson's Thrush 10/16, multiple Eastern Phoebes, many Juncos seen today, Green Heron seen 10/16, juvenile Black-crowned Night-Heron seen today, multiple Winter Wrens, two Eastern Towhees.  Today I had a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, one Swamp Sparrow, one Catbird seen 10/16, two Nashville Warblers (one seen 10/16), one Black-throated Green Warbler, one Blue-headed Vireo and one Orange-crowned Warbler I saw in Villa Angela and Wildwood five different times and could only get two blurry photos as it didn't want anyone within 50-60 feet from it.  First seen in goldenrod in field north of library then it disappeared.  Refound much later in lower side of plantings along Wildwood entrance road first seen in goldenrod there then was in tree and bush with small red berries hidden then refound much much later in Villa Angela field goldenrod again then it disappeared.  I think it was the same one.  Also, when walking out of Villa Angela field area I stirred up one American Woodcock flew up and landed down on ground in the woods near the fence line of recycling area near woodpile as I approached the area it flew off again to north.  Refound it further north in the main woods just north of where I was exiting on the main road. It made the whirring sound each time it flew on.  With the strong winds most birds seen in field in Villa Angela area and nearby woods and sometimes along plantings along entrance road in Wildwood side.  Hard to find much else except Kinglets elsewhere.  Also, more Robins and Blue Jays seen today and adult Bald Eagle seen each day flying up the road heading towards the west.
Nancy AndersonRichmond Heightshttps://www.flickr.com/photos/nancy_a/