OHIO-BIRDS Archives

October 2019

Date:
Mon, 21 Oct 2019 13:08:25 -0400
Hello all,

I hope you are enjoying the autumn weather and have perhaps had a chance to see a few of the recent rarities that have included a very cooperative Purple Gallinule at the Lorain Impoundment and the Sharp-tailed Sandpiper at Killdeer Plains, which is a bit more of a challenge to see, but if other birders are there you will surely be helped if that help is needed. Most birders, after all, want to share their excitement.

This is a friendly reminder that this Listserv exists to report sightings of birds in Ohio and to share information relevant to birds or birding in Ohio that subscribers can use to enhance their knowledge and experiences.  For a full list of the rules, go to the OOS (Ohio Ornithological Society) website and seek the information there.

I want to also remind folks that it is not appropriate or recommended to respond to posts that are provocative or out of bounds of the rules on this Listserv.  There are procedures in place to address these types of posts.  Please help us keep this as a viable resource by choosing to not respond to such posts.  Sometimes it takes a bit of time to address these issues, and all of us that work in these areas are volunteers.

Finally, let’s all remember that  birding is a wonderful hobby, avocation, or for some a professional pursuit.  There are many ways to enjoy it.  There will always be folks out there who want to throw conflict or judgment into how they perceive birding, or how birding “ought to be.”  The ABA has good ethical guidelines for how it “ought to be” and that should be enough for all of us when it comes to guidelines on how we bird.  You can find the ABA code of ethics on their website.

So rather than letting a post anger you or draw you into what could be a prolonged dysfunctional interaction, take that time to maybe introduce someone new to birding.  Maybe read an article on the challenges birds face in our increasingly chaotic weather patterns as a result of global warming.  Volunteer at a local conservation organization, or join a bird club and help lead a field trip, regardless of your level of experience.  We all can make a difference when we use our energy in ways that enhance our own experiences and the experiences of others.

Happy birding, and prepare for the arrival and migration of waterfowl throughout Ohio.  It has already begun.  Maybe you will be the first in your county to see a Red-throated Loon or an Eared Grebe!

Jon Cefus
Ohio Ornithological Society
Director, East Central Ohio