OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2013

From:
Andrew Sewell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andrew Sewell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Nov 2013 11:18:56 -0500
Hi folks:

Sorry for the late post, but I'm not reporting any rarities, just passing
on some information. The Columbus Avid Birders Group birded a number of
locations from Wellington Reservoir up to Cleveland yesterday. I don't have
anything to add about the Cleveland locations that haven't already been
well-reported by the Cleveland Cadre/Lakefront Larid Locators (come on, you
guys need a name!), but if folks are out and about elsewhere, here's our
scoop:

Wellington Reservoir: We hit this at first light and it had surprisingly
low varieties of waterbirds, although good numbers of what was there. Tons
of coots and ruddy ducks and Canada Geese, but duck species were limited to
the ruddies, bufflehead, and ring-necked ducks - not even a mallard! One
Tundra Swan was present, along with handfuls of pied-billed and horned
grebes, and a single Common Loon.

Oberlin Reservoir held Bonaparte's and Ring-billed Gulls, Hooded
Mergansers, another Common Loon, and Ruddy Ducks. Again, very low diversity
of waterfowl.

Lorain Harbor: Perhaps I had missed it if this was reported before, but the
western pier that allows good views of the western half of the harbor is
CLOSED - there is some type of construction going on here. Does anyone know
what is being done here, and how it will affect birding Lorain Harbor in
the future?

The rest of the harbor was full of gulls and Red-breasted Mergansers, but
due to the winds and lack of access to the western half, we only managed to
identify a couple young Greater Black-backed gulls and a single Lesser
Black-backed Gull among the hordes of Ring-billed Gulls. Bonaparte's Gulls
were concentrated on the river below the bridge, and we did not find any
rarer gulls among them.

In all, a surprisingly low diversity of duck species for our November trip,
which usually racks up a good number of different waterfowl types. This
seems in line, though, with what other folks are reporting in terms of
waterfowl migration this season.

Good birding,

Andy Sewell
Columbus, Ohio