OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2010

Date:
Wed, 13 Jan 2010 08:29:13 -0500
Hello Everyone,

I've been planning to post this for some time now, but have been swamped
with grant writing and other fun things like that! ;  )  I appreciate
Mindy's question to the ListServ this morning as it gave me the kick in the
seat I needed to post this announcement.

A BIG birding event is planned in 2010 right in the peak of spring warbler
migration in the Lake Erie Marsh Region of Northwest Ohio. This inaugural
bird festival: “The Biggest Week in American Birding” is hosted by Black
Swamp Bird Observatory, Tropical Birding, Kaufman Field Guides, Ottawa
National Wildlife Refuge, and Magee Marsh Wildlife Area. This “birding
festival week” will be so jam-packed with workshops, warblers, free guided
activities, warblers, half day trips, keynote speakers, workshops, and more
warblers that it will have to be held over 11 days, from Thursday, May 6,
2010 through Sunday, May 16, 2010.

Festival Activities Include:

▪ Warbler and other songbird ID workshops
▪ "Woodcock Extravaganzas" to observe the extraordinary
  displays of these woodland shorebirds
▪ Guided birding excursions to Kelleys Island, Ohio and Point
  Pelee National Park, Ontario Canada
▪ Daily “warbler workouts” on the Magee Marsh boardwalk
▪ Daily visits to the neighboring Ottawa National Wildlife
  Refuge, a local hotspot for waterbirds and warblers
▪ Multiple evening programs
▪ Guided bus tours to area birding hotspots for warblers
▪ Digiscoping workshops by optics experts in Magee Marsh
  area locations
▪ Birding by ear workshops on warblers and other songbirds
▪ A number of presentations on world birding

On top of all of that, birding guru, Kenn Kaufman, and world-class birders
from Tropical Birding, will be presenting evening talks during the bird
festival on a variety of subjects over nine nights of the festival,
including a fascinating presentation on the intricately webbed story of
spring migration in the US.

All-in-all, this “week” is staged during Northwestern Ohio’s
“warbler migration madhouse” where the superlative warbler viewing
opportunities make it an idyllic setting. If warblers are not your thing,
then fear not as there will be many other varied birding opportunities in
the area too, and the festival-organizers will also be running an innovative
non-birder program to ensure spouses do not miss out on any of the fun
either.

Here's a link to the festival website:
http://biggestweekinamericanbirding.com/

Spaces are filling up fast so register soon!

Thanks,

Kim Kaufman
Executive Director
Black Swamp Bird Observatory