From:
Joe Faulkner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joe Faulkner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Apr 2012 15:38:39 -0400
Fellow birders,

      Yesterday, among other things, I reported sighting Eared Grebes at
St. Joe's Lake in Perry County.  Even had pictures to prove it.  Dave
Slager asked if I would send them to him.  He emailed me back saying that
he thought they were Horned grebes in "transition" plumage from non
breeding to breeding.  I sat down with the photos on the screen, a Sibley
and the Crossley guide, and darned if he wasn't right.  The best photo  is
half way "back" on the Crosssley page.
     So, thanks to Dave, I had to take a County life bird off my list, as
well as off my year list.  I guess if you want to pad your lists, you
shouldn't be bragging about having photographic proof.  Actually, that is
one of the nicest features of this listserve.  Folks will step forward to
politely correct your mistakes often made in overly enthusiastic moments
when you think you have found something great.
     By the way, someone called me and was going to chase this bird today.
 That's why retractions like this are necessary.

joe faulkner
somerset, ohio
perry county