OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2024

From:
Sandra Keller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sandra Keller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Feb 2024 18:13:44 -0500
Slow. But it was great getting to these 2 SW Ohio counties again! Been awhile. I had
A rare Friday free. Work was rearranged to Sat to deal with a major delivery.

Anyway, no waterfowl in Brown. Grant Lake and Indian creek. Not a clue why!
The shooting range at Indian creek would explain lack of waterfowl there - birds
Do stay away from hunting areas. I used to enjoy Indian creek. Before the
Shooting range….. it’s loud and not peaceful anymore. Ashame - a good ode spot!
I won’t be hitting with all that noise though….. a plus here as a male pheasant. It
Disappeared into the grassy weedy area. Released bird? That’s what I am thinking.
But I will let ebird let me know….. if it gets changed to exotic, then released bird!

I was planning on more time at Indian Creek, but not with that noise, so moved
On to Highland. The stone gravel pits. At least some waterfowl! Still not much.
RN Ducks, coot, Ruddys. Oldaker had the usual wintering passerines. A Hermit
Thrush is always nice! But no Tree Sparrows. I need that for the county!

A nice day to be out. Although it is still early Feb.

I did have spots driving with BH Cowbird. So they may be back in their usual
Spots. Not a wintering area.

Good birding all.

Sandra Keller

Sent from my iPad mini