OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2009

From:
Paul Hurtado <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Hurtado <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jan 2009 22:07:50 -0500
Hello,

Driving back to NY today from Columbus, I missed the turn onto 271 and
ended up driving through downtown to 90.  I hadn't intended to stop
and bird on my drive back, but as I saw the huge swarm of gulls at the
72nd St exit I *HAD* to stop and take a look at all those birds!  I
didn't have my scope with me, but was fortunate enough to find a few
other birders already there (I forget their names - my apologies!)
with a scope.

We had nice looks at Ring-billed, Herring, Great Black-backed, LESSER
BLACK-BACKED (1+ ad.), GLAUCOUS (1-2 1st winter, 2 ad), ICELAND, and 2
candidates for 1st winter THAYER'S GULLS.  One of these birds was a
bit pale and I couldn't call one way or the other (a
"Kumlien's/Thayer's" gull) but the other looked pretty good for
THAYER'S...  photos of all the gulls species I saw are at

         http://www.flickr.com/photos/pauljhurtado/

Comments on the probable Thayer's and Thayer's/Kumlien's birds are welcome! :)

Good birding,
Paul Hurtado
(Ithaca, NY)