OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2013

From:
Paul Graham <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 13 Jan 2013 14:28:23 -0500
Thanks to everyone who gave me tips on where to go during my visit to  the
Avon Lake, North Ridgeville, Lorain County area yesterday.  I loved  Sandy
Ridge Metro Park.  An special thanks to the private property owner  who
allowed me onto their property in my successful attempt to see the Hoary
Redpoll.  Very nice!  What a beauty - got great straight on, side and  behind/below
looks.  No question what it was.  In addition to Sandy  Ridge, I stopped at
Bradley Woods Res., Avon Lake Power Plant/Miller Rd. Park,  and a couple
small parks I encountered.  But the big hit was Sandy  Ridge.  That will be a
destination when I'm up that way in the  future.

Hoary Redpoll (male)
Bald Eagle (2)
Red Tail Hawk (several)
Coopers Hawk (2)
Rough Legged Hawk
Red Shouldered Hawk
Red Breasted Nuthatch (male & female)
White Breasted Nuthatch
Mourning Dove
Tufted Titmouse
Black Capped Chickadee
N. Cardinal
House Finch
House Sparrow
Blue Jay
Downy Woodpecker
Red Bellied Woodpecker
Mallard Ducks
Canada Geese
Lots of gulls which I didn't attempt to sort out
American Robins
Euro. Starlings
American Crow
Dark Eyed Junco

With a day like this, I can't complain, BUT I missed a Great Horned Owl and
 a Merlin at Sandy Ridge, and there was no sign of the N. Shrike.

Paul Graham
Worthington, Franklin Co.