OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2009

From:
chris pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
chris pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Feb 2009 21:46:41 -0500
Jeremiah Roth & I started out at E 72nd St & saw the previously reported species.
We met up with a group from the Western Cuyahoga Audubon at Lakeview Cemetery
and after a bit of looking and waiting, a group of Crossbills provided us with a great view.

Location:     Lake View Cemetery Cleveland
Observation date:     2/8/09
Number of species:     11

Mourning Dove     4
Red-bellied Woodpecker     1
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker     1
Downy Woodpecker     2
Blue Jay     3
White-breasted Nuthatch     2
American Robin     50
European Starling     50
Dark-eyed Junco     15
*White-winged Crossbill     12*
American Goldfinch     2

We then pushed on to Hayes Rd, just east of Middlefield and saw an enormous flock of Snow Buntings, which coursed back and forth in the distant field. A couple of Rough-legged Hawks were also seen.
Location:     Hayes Rd
Observation date:     2/8/09
Notes:     Watched to Snow Buntings for 10 min as they moved all around a farm field
Number of species:     8

Canada Goose     X
Rough-legged Hawk     2
Mourning Dove     20
Downy Woodpecker     1
American Crow     2
European Starling     X
*Snow Bunting     250*
Northern Cardinal     1

Location:     Parkman-Mespo Rd
Observation date:     2/8/09
Number of species:     6

Bald Eagle     1
Red-shouldered Hawk     1
Rock Pigeon     X
Mourning Dove     X
American Crow     2
Eastern Bluebird     2

Our final stop was  at the West Woods on Rt 87 in Newbury.
We were treated to great looks at Pine Siskins and Common Redpolls as they visited the feeders.

Location:     The West Woods Metro Park Geauga County

Observation date:     2/8/09
Number of species:     11

Red-bellied Woodpecker     1
Downy Woodpecker     2