OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2011

From:
Jim McCormac <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim McCormac <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Dec 2011 07:01:38 -0500
Hi all,

For anyone interested, I have some photos of the Ovenbird first reported by Jennifer Kleinrichert on December 7th on my blog:http://jimmccormac.blogspot.com/

As she has noted, the bird is frequenting feeders behind the Innis House at Inniswood Metro Gardens in Westerville (link to the site on blog). While the warbler can fly and appears reasonably healthy, it has suffered some sort of injury or trauma, the evidence of which can be seen in the photos. I'm not sure whether Inniswood is within the Hoover Christmas Bird Count or any others, but if so there may well be an Ovenbird to be tallied.

Ovenbirds can be surprisingly tough for a species that ordinarily rides out the winter in tropical climes. At least three of them have been known to overwinter in Ohio in the past, and the Inniswood bird is the 15th or so December record.

Jim

Jim McCormac
Columbus, Ohio
Like Nature? http://jimmccormac.blogspot.com/