From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Apr 2011 17:44:23 -0400
I couldn't get far from home today, so I worked several isolated parks along Alum Creek in east Columbus (& Bexley).  Each of these parks has forested areas lacking in the surrounding urbanized areas, so they act as mini-migrant traps.  I started at Jeffrey Park in Bexley, then moved north into Columbus to visit Mock Park and Innis Park.  Despite the dreary weather (or possibly because of it), lots of migrants were out-and-about. Even this weather can't stop migration, it can only delay it. Notables included:

Green Heron - 1 was flying north up Alum Creek in Jeffrey Park
BLACK-BILLED CUCKOO - 1 was foraging along the path at Innis Park
Vireos - 1 Yellow-throated was singing at Mock, while a Warbling was in the riparian strip at Innis
Nuthatch,Creepers - a Red-br.Nuthatch was in the pines at Jeffrey Park, while 2 Brown Creepers were both there and at Mock Park
Wrens - plenty of House wrens, with 1-2 at every stop
Gnatcatchers - another banner day, with 25+ in just under 2.5 hours
Kinglets - still 2 Golden-crowns in the pines at Jeffrey Park.  Ruby-crowns were widespread, with 20+ over all sites
Thrushes - 2 Hermits were still at Jeffrey park, but Wood Thrushes appeared at all 3 parks
Mimids - singing thrashers were at Jeffrey & Mock, while a Catbird was singing at Innis
Warblers - no great numbers, but good diversity, including
 Parula - 1 singing at Jeffrey
 Blue-winged - 1 wheezing at Jeffrey
 Yellow - singing birds at Jeffrey & Mock
 Yellow-throated - singing birds at every location
 Yellow-rumpeds - still the most common, with 4-6 at each park
 Black-thr.Greens - some at each park, led by 4 at Jeffrey Park
 Pine - 1 in a tiny stand of pines at Mock
 Palm - single birds at Mock & Innis
 N.Waterthrush - a singing birds at Innis, my FOS
 Ovenbirds - singing birds at Jeffrey & Mock
 Com.Yellowthroat - a singing bird at Innis
 WILSON'S - a singing bird at Innis.  Weird to see this species before any Nashvilles or Tennessees
 Hooded - singing birds at all 3 parks
Scarlet Tanager - 1 bird calling at Innis
E.Towhee - 2-3 birds at every park
White-throated Sparrows - flocks at every park, topped by 50+ at Innis.  They were the most common bird of the morning.
Field Sparrows - 1-2 birds singing at Innis, one of the few local sites where they summer
Swamp Sparrow - 1 singing at Innis
E.FOX SPARROW - 1 still lingering at Innis, a last vestige of their great migration this Spring
Baltimore Orioles - 1 bird was lurking at Jeffrey, but 3 were singing at Innis