OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2014

From:
Haans Petruschke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Haans Petruschke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Sep 2014 17:08:40 -0400
Hi,

Boreal Owl should be on the Ohio list.  There is one well documented record
from Lake County in April 1997 and it is covered on the 2nd edition of
Peterjohn.

A sort of unfortunate birding story though.  To preface: Boreal Owls are
"ridiculously tame" (Peterson)

People saw the owl roosting in a tree near their deck.  When it did not
flush they called the rehab facility in Kirtland.  The people who came were
clueless as well and captured the owl.  Only when they could not  ID the
little guy did they call in the expert well known to all of us who follow
this list serve. He quickly realized it was a Boreal Owl, and rescued it
from the rescuers.  He released it and it was never seen again.

If only those people had not assumed there was something wrong with the
owl. If only those particular rehabbers had been somewhat competent in
their knowledge of the species they encounter.

If only...

Haans