From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Apr 2011 20:41:42 -0400
The Evans Lake Western Grebe was basically a one day wonder. First seen by local birder Ryan Golterman, about 5PM Saturday afternoon, April 9th. Shortly after, identification was confirmed by six experienced birders, including myself. Last sighting was about 6PM Sunday night. By this time, at least 31 well known birders had succeeded in their rarity pursuit; a bird seldom seen in Ohio. Come Monday morning it was no where to be found! Heavy fog on Sunday morning hindered viewing till about 10AM. The well traveled Laura Keene and her husband Dave, cut their trip to Chincoteague NWR, Virginia short by a day, to return to Ohio for the celebrity Western Grebe, and then to successfully continue to Michigan for the White Wagtail. Several other road warriors also accomplished  the feat of recording the Grebe and the Wagtail in the same day. Obsessed birders, a breed of their own! Hallie Mason of "EVLTWN 1" vanity license plate fame, made the pilgrimage from Amish Country by herself; making new friends and sharing the moment with Geoff Malosh and the Pennsylvania contingency. Rare bird sightings create an opportunity for reunions with past acquaintances. Jay Lehman and Geoff Malosh had not seen each other since Adak, Alaska in 2005. Kudos to Craig Holt for helping to navigate attendees from the Calla Road west shore, to the Villas east shore, viewing sites. To all who came and saw, I hope you enjoyed your visit to our little corner of birding paradise.

Bob Lane / Mahoning~Columbiana County