Date:
Fri, 20 Apr 2018 15:15:20 -0400
A cold but productive morning today with 50 species along the trail. I
walked 5.6 miles round trip (3 hours 40 minutes).

Several local species were seen carrying nesting material or food, so
breeding season has definitely begun. Some of the local birds (Black-capped
Chickadee, Downy Woodpecker, Northern Cardinal, Song Sparrow and Swamp
Sparrow) were well-represented and singing like crazy. Tufted Titmouse
numbers seemed a little low, but they were very quiet. I'm guessing that is
due to them being involved in nesting activities. (I saw two taking nesting
material from a cavity and flying away with it). Highlights include:
Greater Yellowlegs (19); Ruby-crowned Kinglet (15); Golden-crowned Kinglet
(4); Broad-winged Hawk (1);  Gray-cheeked Thrush (1), Hermit Thrush (2),
Lincoln's Sparrow (1) and possible Slate-colored Fox Sparrows (2 - see
notes below).

Judy

*Notes on possible Slate-colored Fox Sparrows*:*
Two birds seen about 1 mile apart from each other
Gray head, no distinct markings, just plain gray, which extended to the back
Dark chocolate brown streaks, which were fine but prominent, on white chest
Rusty tail, wings somewhat rusty
Heavy, sparrow-type beak (lower mandible seemed yellowish or paler, hard to
see with the lighting - could have been the sun reflecting on it)
Song-sparrow sized but a bit larger (no other birds nearby for comparison)
Seen in tangles of vines and branches, then flew to brushy area

** If anyone has insight regarding the identification of these two birds,
please let me know/comment about it. They were very different.*

*The list, in alphabetical order:*

American Crow several
American Robin numerous
American Goldfinch 2