OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2009

From:
Chris Knoll <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Knoll <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jan 2009 14:07:26 -0500
Black Swamp Bird Observatory - Window on Wildlife - Wed afternoon 1:30 pm 16
degrees
We put out a nice mix of Blackoil Sunflower and Millet seed in the feeders
along with two thistle tube feeders.

I spread a lot of mix seed on the ground around the feeders for the ground
feeding birds.

1. Fox Sparrow - 1 eating seeds while scratching on the ground by the
feeders.
2. White-crowned Sparrow - 2 eating on one of the tray feeders.
3. White-throated Sparrow - many eating on the ground and on the tray
feeders.
4. A. Tree Sparrow - 40 + birds everywhere around the feeders.
5. Song Sparrow - at least 4 birds eating on the ground.
6. Swamp Sparrow - at least 2 birds eating on the ground and on the tray
feeder.
7. Dark-eyed Junco - several eating on the ground.
8. House Sparrows - too many to count (50 +).
9. Common Redpoll - 1 male eating from the thistle tube feeder.
10. Pine Siskin - 2 birds eating thistle seed.
11. Black-capped Chickadee - 1 eating sunflower seeds
12. American Goldfinch - 50 + birds eating on all the feeders.
13. Downy Woodpecker - 2 eating the suet and one eating sunflower seeds.
14. Northern Cardinals - several males - just beautiful in the snow.
15. Blue jay - 2 eating sunflower seeds.
16. Mourning Dove - several feeding on the ground.
17. Brown-headed Cowbird - several grey females today.
18. Red-bellied Woodpecker - on the tray feeder eating sunflower seeds.
19. E. Starling - 2 eating suet. Boy they have long bills.

Click below for directions to our nature center. The feeders are behind the
building.

Please come in the building on the weekends and sit by our Window on
Wildlife.

We are open 11 am to 5 pm Fri., Sat. and Sun.
www.bsbo.org/directions

Christopher J. Knoll

Education Director

Black Swamp Bird Observatory