OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2009

From:
"JENNINGS, Joseph" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
JENNINGS, Joseph
Date:
Thu, 27 Aug 2009 14:13:54 -0400
As an educator working with diverse urban populations, the workshop Kenn informed us about (and the idea of being proactive about educating a diverse population about conservation and wildlife) is very helpful and relevant.

National conservation organizations are opening new education centers and initiatives in underserved urban areas for the very same reason. This workshop and other initiatives to reach underserved urban and rural diverse populations is a response to the reality of the situation, if we are going to be successful in conservation of wildlife and natural resources, we need to reach all segments of our society.

Songbirds and the habitats they depend on will only be a conservation priority if all sorts of different people are given opportunities to study nature and learn about conservation issues and solutions.

Joe Jennings