OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2011

From:
Sharon Hamersley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sharon Hamersley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Nov 2011 18:31:53 -0500
Encouraged by reports of sandhill cranes in the area we stopped at Glacier
Knoll about 2:45 today.  Sure enough - within a few minutes 7 cranes flew
right over the observation deck and eventually landed at the far end of
the pond. Due to poor lighting conditions (and lack of a spotting scope)
we could not initially see any red markings on the heads.  Later on after
visiting Wood Duck (several tundra swans in the distance) and Ellis Pond
(almost no waterfowl present) we returned to Glacier Knoll and were
fortunate to have another birder share his spotting scope to confirm ID.
(Thank you anonymous birder!)

Also hanging out in the tree to the left of the osprey platform at Glacier
Knoll, a bald eagle.  We spotted him a bit later gliding over Blue Wing
pond and causing quite a bit of consternation among waterfowl in the
vicinity.

Good birding!  Sharon