OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2017

From:
David Tan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Tan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Sep 2017 16:14:59 -0400
Big Darby -- Kuhlwein Rd., White Barn (including bleachers, and loop).
Migrants were
around but hard to come by--flurring in isolated trees at white barn
and bleachers.  We found little water and no shorebirds and the like.

TV 28
Bald Eagle  3 (ad.)
Cooper's Hawk  4
Broad-winged Hawk  11
Red-tailed Hawk  4 (juv.)

Flycatchers--11 E Phoebe and 5 Least Flycatchers.  I haven't seen an
Acadian (identified by voice or other means) since late August.  Last
Willow idenified by voice 9/3.   Alder's identified by voice seem to
peak late August to early Sept., seem to outnumber Willows.

Vireos--8 Yellow-throated, 2 Warbling, 3 Philadelphia.  (Our earliest
date for PHVI is Sept. 10)

Warblers---16 species (incl. Black-and-white, American Redstart,
Common Yellowthroat

Northern Waterthrush 11
Tennessee warblers 15 (low to mid level, edges/margins;  no
Orange-crowned, our earliest OCWA in 7 years is 9/25)

Nashville warbler  6 (low, weedy, deciduous overhangs)
Magnolia warblers 12
Cape may warblers  17 (medium-upper level deciduous clearing/edge)
Chestnut sided warblers  8
Black throated green warblers  7
Blackburnian warblers  13 (mid-upper lever, canopy; outer limbs of
tall deciduous trees)
Yellow- throated Warbler 6
Bay breasted warblers  13  (upper levels;  7 in one tree;  we've only
seen several Blackpoll so finding BBWA far more common)
Connecticut Warbler 2  (flushed from dense weedy ground cover, lit on
low delidous limbs, bill up thrush like, for a few moments then
disappeared;  our earliest is 9/10)
Canada Warbler  2
Wilson Warbler  4

Cedar Waxwing-150+

Blue Grosbeak 1 male (Kuhlwein Rd.  -- long dark tail twitching,
chestnut wingbars, squeaky tink tink)

Bobolink  100

--
David and Patty Tan