OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2015

Date:
Mon, 1 Jun 2015 16:37:48 -0400
 As all you senior birders know this has been one of the slowest springs for the numbers of neotropic migrants in memory. Birding for the Headlands crew has been depressing at times . But !! Hold on to your bins :). My little buddy Ray Hannikman the keeper of the Headlands daily count, says this has been a record breaking May .
  The old May record set in 2006  with 192 species, such as Swainson's and Kirtland's Warblers .
  The new record was set yesterday with 198 species. Loggerhead Shrike ,Upland Sandpiper, Whimbrel and Dickcissel were a few of the birds that put us over the top .
Ray is so happy that he wants to buy every birder in the state Pizza and Pepsi :)

Sent from my iPad