OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2012

From:
Paul Hurtado <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Hurtado <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Aug 2012 12:51:15 -0400
The north end of Hoover Reservoir really is looking REALLY good for
shorebirds, and Rob and others have mentioned. Lots of exposed shoreline,
mud flats a little ways in from shore, and some older mud flats with very
short vegetation coming in.  Central Ohio birders should definitely visit
the area as much as they can in the coming weeks; lots of habitat to cover,
a great opportunity to learn (or relearn) your shorebirds, and the odds of
another rarity or two showing up here are excellent.

I visited the Galena/Hoover boardwalk last night from just after 7pm until
a little before 9:00pm, and saw basically what Rob reported from the area
yesterday (though I saw a bit less; the 6 month old strapped to my chest
really likes grabbing at my scope while I'm looking through it).

Some photos of a LITTLE BLUE HERON can be found in this eBird checklist:

and at
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pauljhurtado/

It took a while for the Little Blue to show up. It was first seen coming
down the creek to the east (Big Walnut Creek) before it circled up and off
to the east over the tree tops.  A short while later, it returned flying
directly over the boardwalk (great looks!) then lazily circling up over the
treetops again and disappearing out of site to the north up Little Walnut
Creek.  A short while later, that bird or perhaps a second individual flew
in from the south west with Great Egrets, and landed on the mud flats just
south of the boardwalk at the mouth of the Little Walnut Creek.

If you go looking for the Little Blue(s) be patient; plenty of shorebirds
to sort through while you wait ;)

Good birding,
Paul Hurtado