OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2018

From:
Gabriel Amrhein <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gabriel Amrhein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Feb 2018 22:25:07 +0000
i’m literally having bad dreams with the name bill whan in them. sure he
sounds like a smart guy in terms of birds, but this is the hill y’all are
dying on here? it’d be one thing if the point of his post was to highlight
racist and colonialist histories of birding, that’s really important for
all of us to constantly consider and deconstruct, but according to him, it
wasn’t, meaning he could’ve been tactful and decent in his conveyance of
this barn owl info. i mean my goodness, y’all are really gonna leave a
listserv in a huff bc someone got banned for using racial slurs when asked
not to? good riddance tbh, i’m not interested in a birding community that
doesn’t actively work to combat racism and make birding more accessible.
--
Gabby Amrhein