OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2009

From:
Aaron Boone <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Aaron Boone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jan 2009 17:17:54 -0500
Ohio Birders,

As many of you are aware, some species of birds begin breeding
activities fairly early in the calendar year.  As a result, much of
the survey efforts invested in the Ohio Breeding Bird Atlas II could
begin as early as January and continue through the spring before the
bulk of survey activities characteristically commence in June.  We
would like to announce a Big County Atlasing Competition that will
mainly focus on documenting early-season breeders from February
through April.  Think of it as a Big January for atlas species but for
4 months instead of one.  Here are some of the competition specifics:

#1  This competition will take place at the COUNTY level.

#2  Visit the priority block map that has recently been updated
(http://www.ohiobirds.org/obba2/Priority%20Block%20Map.php).  This map
shows county borders in relationship to all the priority blocks.  A
quick scan of the map shows counties, like Allen County, that have
little or no survey coverage in their priority blocks.  Allen County
has 5 or so blocks with ZERO data.

#3  When you see a county that you're interested in surveying for the
competition, send me an email or give me a call.  Registration in the
competition is on a first-come first-serve basis.  AND, you are not
limited to registering for just one county.

#4  Ideally, we need help in the counties that have little to no
survey coverage but we may consider registration for counties with
more thorough coverage at this point.  Please get in touch with us
with your competition requests and questions.

#5  The goal will be to tally as many block-species observations that
you possibly can.  The main objective will be to spend as much time as
possible in the priority blocks for your particular county, but
species "ticks" from non-priority blocks in your county will also
count.  A scoring example would be:

...you tallied calling Eastern Screech-Owls in 10 priority blocks in
Ross County.  But you also tallied calling owls in 3 non-priority
blocks.  On the way to scout locations for likely screech-owl habitat,
you found an old heron rookery in a sycamore tree (atlas code 'UN').
You now have a Ross County score of 14.

Species that have safe dates beginning at some point during the
February to April period are:

-Ring-necked Pheasant (begins 4/1)
-Ruffed Grouse (begins 4/1)
-Wild Turkey (begins 4/1)
-Northern Bobwhite (begins 4/15)
-American Woodcock (begins 4/10)
-Rock Pigeon (safe dates active year-long)
-Great Horned Owl (beings 2/1)
-Barred Owl (beings 2/1)
-Eastern Screech Owls (beings 4/1)
-Belted Kingfisher (begins 4/15)
-Red-bellied Woodpecker (begins 3/15)
-Downy Woodpecker (begins 3/15)
-Hairy Woodpecker (begins 3/15)
-Pileated Woodpecker (begins 3/15)
-Horned Lark (begins 4/20)
-Carolina Chickadee (begins 3/15)
-Black-capped Chickadee (begins 4/15)
-Tufted Titmouse (begins 3/15)
-Carolina Wren (begins 4/1)
-European Starling (begins 4/15)
-Northern Cardinal (begins 3/15)
-Common Grackle (begins 4/15)
-House Sparrow (begins 2/1)

As you can see, there are plenty of species that factor into the mix
including the fact that many species will begin nesting activities
before safe dates that don't begin during the February to April period
(Red-tailed Hawks are frequently seen on nests in Ohio during March
and April yet safe dates for the species don't start until May).  And,
leafless trees make it easy to spot older, used nests like heron
rookeries or Baltimore Oriole nests!

Available prizes for the competition will be announced later but
anyone interested in taking part in this competition should call or
email Aaron Boone ([log in to unmask] OR 614-247-6458).  Upon
registering for a county to survey, Aaron will send you maps for each
priority block in the county along with data forms and a set of
competition instructions.  Please let us know if you have any
questions.

Good birding!

614.247.6458 (office)
www.ohiobirds.org/obba2/