OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2006

From:
Robert Royse <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 4 Nov 2006 16:41:00 -0500
I made another check of the Deer Creek Reservoir again today. There was a big change from just 3 days ago. The big fallout of loons etc. seems to have departed, but the gulls are holding steady. Some of the birds noted today, Nov. 4,  included :

~10 Green-winged Teal
~10 Redheads
~15 Hooded Mergansers
~10 Ruddy Ducks
12 Common Loons
~15 Pied-billed Grebes
1 Horned Grebe
~150 Am. Coots
~50 Killdeers
2 Greater Yellowlegs
1 Lesser Yellowlegs
1 Western Sandpiper
1 Pectoral Sandpiper
2 Dunlins
2 Wilson's Snipes
~1100 Bonaparte's Gulls
~700 Ring-billed Gulls
Herring Gulls (several)

With all the hunting going on there today, I didn't spend much effort looking for passerines in the fields.  The only Spizella sparrow noted were Am. Tree Sparrows. Song, Swamp, and White-crowned Sparrows were still numerous, as there are likely wintering birds. 3 Fox Sparrows were seen today too. The massive Am. Goldfinch flock in the sunflower patch along D-12 has dwindled to a mere 350 birds still present, although there is another sizable sunflower patch on Egypt Pike Rd. that I didn't check.

Closer to home in Columbus, the now annual neighborhood wintering flock of Ring-necked Ducks has begun to arrive with a flock of 75 today in the quarry pond at 5th Ave. and Rt.33.

Bob Royse

Robert Royse
www.roysephotos.com