OHIO-BIRDS Archives

February 2018

From:
Cole DiFabio <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cole DiFabio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Feb 2018 18:37:24 -0500
Hello,

Over the past few days, Acton Lake in Hueston Woods, of Preble County, has
attracted a variety of species of geese. Today, 2/10, I had four Ross's
Geese and five Greater White-fronted Geese. There have been two Ross's
hanging out for at least a week, but today I had two more fly in. At least
three Greater White-fronted Geese have been present since 2/8.
Today, a Bald Eagle was soaring over the lake and flushed all of the geese
up and many did not return. However, later driving on Jones Road in Butler
County, near Hueston Woods, I encountered the same four Ross's and four of
the five Greater White-fronted Geese foraging in a cornfield. Yesterday,
2/9, I had 11 Snow Geese on Acton Lake.
There is also a reliable male Merlin seen around Acton Lake recently and at
least two Short-eared Owls hunting over the fields of the Miami University
Airport at dusk.
Lastly, there were 36 continuing Greater White-fronted Geese at Fernald
Preserve in Hamilton County today, 2/10.
--
Cole DiFabio