OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2006

From:
Ryan Steiner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ryan Steiner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Nov 2006 20:41:32 -0500
My Family and I decided to go up to the lake today (Nov. 25) and try to
find some of the birds I have seen posted.  We started by going to
Edgewater Park where we found the BRANT still there.  We looked around a
little more but found nothing else other than the usual gulls.

We had about the same luck at Gordon Park.  The BLACK-LEGGED KITTIWAKE was
still there and we got a great look at it as it flew low right over us and
off into the large flock of bonaparte's gulls.

We then headed over to Sims Park where we found no scoters, golden eye, or
scaup.  All that we really found was some buffleheads and red-breasted
mergansers.  There were some other dark birds a ways out but we did not
have a scope along and couldn't identify them.

We then headed over to bellflower elementry school to try to find the
Ross's Goose.  It wasn't there and we left disapointed but then later we
spotted the ROSS'S GOOSE and got some great looks and pictures.  If it is
still where we saw it, you have to go 2 east to Rt 615 South towards
Mentor, then turn right on Tyler Road. We went about a mile and it was on
the left next to the small pond between Source One Health Care and Snively
Inc.com.  We spotted it from 2 so if it is still in the area, going that
way should lead you to it.

We ended the day at Mosquito Lake where we saw quite a few Tundra Swans, a
group of about 20-30 Ruddy ducks, and a large flock of 400+ Coots.

It was a great day at the lake, as it always is when you pick up a couple
lifers!
          Good Birding-
            Ryan Steiner