OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2010

From:
Robert Royse <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Royse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Nov 2010 19:49:52 -0800
Besides the bird Dave Horn mentioned at Deer Creek, there was a huge raft of ducks today in the SE part of the reservoir. I have been there a few times in the past week, and there is a big turnover on every visit. Waterfowl today included :

Mallards
Am Black Ducks
Gadwealls
Green-w Teals
N Pintails
Redheads
Ring-necked Ducks
Lesser Scaup
Buffleheads
Ruddy Ducks
Hooded Mergansers
Red-br Mergansers

Also in the areas were more Common Loons, Am Coots, and P-b and Horned Grebes.

The best areas to scope out the SE part of the reservoir are from the cliff by the picnic tables in the state park down the road from the beach, and at the edge of the reservoir by the parking area just north of the bridge on Rt.22.

Te reliable regular Merlin has been back at its usual spot by the boat launch again this year, but it wanders widely through the day. Early mornings seem to be best for that bird.

Sandhill Cranes have been present all week. They take off early in the morning and return in the evening.

Lots of Ring-billed and Bonaparte's Gulls have been present lately, but Herring Gulls have been fewer recently. No other species have been noted, although I keep looking.

Shorebird numbers have shrunk dramatically over the course of the week. A week ago there were over 100 Killdeers and about 30 Dunlins, but there are about 1/3 that number now. A single Greater Yellowlegs has been present and wandering all over the reservoir.

There is a lot of hunting going on in the wildlife area at this time of year, especially on weekends, but there are some good places to poke around in the state park which isn't very crowded at this time of year even on weekends. Near the group camping area today was a small flock of Rusty Blackbirds.

Bob Royse

Robert Royse
www.roysephotos.com