OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2017

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Mar 2017 13:55:59 -0500
I visited several areas north of Columbus in the cold this morning, focusing on the north end of Alum Creek lake (Howard Rd and Hogback Rd) and the south end of Delaware lake (Panhandle Rd and the Dam area).  Most of the shallow pools & marshes at Alum Creek lake and the Delaware Wildlife Area were iced over (it was 17 F on my car thermometer), so waterfowl were concentrated in the few open water areas.  Notables included:

Lesser Scaup - a flock of 120 was in Delaware reservoir off Panhandle Rd, while another 30 were off Howard Rd bridge at Alum Creek Lake
Ring-necked Duck - 10 were with the scaup off Panhandle Rd
Mergansers - Howard Rd bridge at Alum Creek Lake had 4 Hooded and 1 Common, while 6 Red-breasted were north of the Delaware Dam.
N.Harrier - 1 was searching the marshes along Panhandle Rd
Bonaparte's Gulls - small numbers were on the Delaware reservoir both off Panhandle Rd and off the Dam.
E.Bluebirds - a few were at almost every stop
Water Pipit - 1 was along the dike at the southern portion of Pandhandle Rd
Field Sparrows - 2 were at River Run Park along the Olentangy River south of the Delaware Dam
Tree Sparrows - small numbers at many locations, especially in the scrubby areas of the Delaware Wildlife Area
Fox Sparrow - 1 was in the swamp at the east end of Leonardsburg Rd in the Delaware Wildlife Area
Blackbirds - Red-wings & grackles were widespread, and the first small flocks of Cowbirds were at several different locations.