OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2018

From:
Robert Thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Dec 2018 19:24:37 -0500
The Hoover CBC did get off to a dry start this morning, but the rain really
hit starting at 10 - 10:30 AM.  I can't speak for other teams, but I had
the south Hoover Reservoir and Westerville, and there were birds out even
in the rainiest periods.  Despite breaks to dry off, I tallied 45 species,
though individual numbers for most species were well below average.
Highlights included:

Dabbling Ducks - Mallards were scattered all over the place, but oddly low
around reservoir.  Mixed in with them were several groups of Gadwall, as
well as single Wigeon and Green-winged Teal
Diving Ducks - not nearly so good, with small groups of Hooded Mergansers
and a single Bufflehead as the only rewards for scrutinizing the dam and
reservoir.

Gulls - small flocks of Ring-bills and Bonaparte's Gulls were all over the
lower reservoir

Raptors - hard to come by in the rain, but Red-tails and Red-shoulders were
at several spots, and a Cooper's Hawk was terrorizing feeders around Boyer
Preserve

BrownCreeper - at least one was in the riparian strip along Alum Creek near
Heritage Park

Kinglets - 4-5 Golden-crowns were in the riparian strip along Alum Creek,
while a single Ruby-crown was hiding in a thicket at the Walnut St. boat
ramp on Hoover

Fruit-eaters - hard to find, but I did have several flocks of Robins, and
managed to find a few E.Bluebirds and Cedar Waxwings in the parks along
Alum Creek

Sparrows - good day for White-throats and Song Sparrows, poor for
everything else.  I did find 1 Tree Sparrow in the riparian strip along
Alum Creek