OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2010

From:
Michael Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 2010 11:12:05 -0400
The U.S. Nightjar Survey Network is entering its fourth year as the vital
program that documents the population distribution and population trends of
these declining species.  Nightjars are the group of nocturnal,
insectivorous birds that includes species such as the whip-poor-will, common
poorwill, chuck-will's-widow, and the nighthawks among others.  We would
like to invite all birders and conservationists to participate in the
program by adopting Nightjar Survey Routes in 2010 and beyond.

We are very grateful to the number of participants already involved in the
program and for the quality of the data they have collected.  Information
gathered over the past four years is helping to explain how the composition
of habitats in local landscapes influences nightjar abundance.  In turn,
these data will help reach the project's near-term goals of explaining
habitat-based declines where they occur.

There is still need for longer-term data and broader geographic coverage to
adequately cover the target species.

Nightjar Surveys are standardized counts conducted along census routes on
bright moonlit nights.  Observers count all Nightjars seen or heard for a
six-minute period at each of 10 stops along the route.  The entire survey
will not take much more than one hour to complete and only needs conducted
one time per year.  We have a series of existing routes in each state that
are still in need of adoption.

Please consider adopting a Nightjar Survey Route.  The continuing success of
U.S. Nightjar Survey Network relies entirely on volunteer participation.

Visit the U.S. Nightjar Survey at www.ccb-wm.org/nightjars.htm for location
of surveys, data sheets and instructions, and how to adopt a route.

Michael Wilson
Center for Conservation Biology
College of William and Mary & Virginia Commonwealth University
PO Box 8795
Williamsburg, VA 23187-8795
phone: 757-221-1649
fax: 757-221-1650