OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2013

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Nov 2013 18:21:31 -0500
I stopped by several parks in this suburb northwest of Columbus, mostly along the Scioto River Gorge, and found lots of resident birds, but little in the way of strays or late migrants.  I started at Kiwanis Riverfront Park, then moved upstream to Donegal Cliffs and Frink Parks, before looping west to visit Coventry Woods, Avery Park, and Trabue Preserve.  This was in the clear morning before the snowclouds rolled in, so there was lots of bird activity.  The few notables included:

Waterfowl - no real migrants here yet, except for 3 Bufflehead above O'Shaughnessy Dam
Great Blue Herons - fairly widespread along the Scioto River, with 7 below O'Shaughnessy Dam the high #
Woodpeckers - lots of Red-bellies & Downies, but also several Hairies and N.Flickers
Brown Creepers - good #s, with 3 at Coventry Woods the high #.
Golden-cr.Kinglets - hardly any left, I still pulled up 2 at Coventry Woods
E.Bluebirds - not many left, with only singles at Donegal Cliffs and Frink Park
Yellow-rumped Warblers - 3 were still hanging around poison ivy berries at Trabue Preserve
Tree Sparrows - 2 were in the meadow around the pond at Trabue Preserve, often a good place to look for them.
Swamp Sparrow - 1 was along one of the tiny springs at Kiwanis Park
White-throated Sparrows - good #s, with flocks at many locations
Blackbirds - nothing but a few stray grackles
Finches - nothing but the expected small flocks of House Finches and Goldfinches