OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2009

From:
Scott Albaugh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Scott Albaugh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Dec 2009 19:59:58 -0500
Three Black Vultures flew over I-70 this morning just west of SR 83.

Also...I would like to invite you all to attend the Chandlersville CBC on
January 1.

I have accepted the responsibility of compiler of the Chandlersville
Christmas Bird Count. The circle for this count is placed southeast of
Zanesville and encompasses prime birding habitat in and around the Wilds,
Blue Rock State Forest, and Blue Rock State Park. As most of you know, the
area around the Wilds has become quite famous in Ohio as a winter birding
location. These grasslands of southeastern Ohio have hosted a variety of
unusual species in recent years; the most well known being Golden Eagles.
These majestic birds have been winter residents in the area of the Wilds for
nearly a decade. Other highlights have included Prairie Falcon (03-04) and
Northern Shrike. This area is also one of Ohio's premier locations for
winter raptors such as Rough-legged Hawk, Northern Harrier, and Short-eared
Owls.

As a new compiler I am unfamiliar with many of the participants of past
years...and it has been a couple of years since this count was last
conducted. My hope is that we can do this area justice by recruiting enough
participants to cover the entire circle. This part of southeast Ohio is no
doubt one of the state's most valuable habitats for birds in any time of
year. Please consider joining the count and contributing to the knowledge
and understanding of the birds in this important birding hot spot.

The count date is January 1st. Please email me if you are interested in
participating. I will supply additional information about the count once I
have an idea of the number of participants.

Thank you,

Scott Albaugh