OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2015

Date:
Sun, 13 Sep 2015 20:53:05 -0400
This afternoon, Ben Morrison and I visited the area north of Price Rd. at Berlin Lake in Stark County.  When we arrived, we ran into Bruce Bezon and the 3 of us headed out on to the shoreline hiking from the pull on SR 255 north of Price.

Overall, numbers were down, but we had a nice variety of birds with 11 species of shorebirds represented.  The new bird for the area today was a White-rumped Sandpiper.  We had a couple of Baird’s as well as 7 American Golden Plovers.  3 Stilt Sandpipers were also present.  Other species included Killdeer, Semi-palmated Plovers, Least and Semi-palmated Sandpipers, Pectoral Sandpipers, and Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs.

A special treat was the strafing of the mudflats by a beautiful Peregrine Falcon that gave us an incredible show in the late afternoon light on a cool, breezy Sunday.  The precision and power of these birds is astonishing.  It is a privilege to watch such things.

On our way to Berlin, we had a Sharp-shinned Hawk sitting on a power line across from the entrance to Deer Creek State Park (also on Price, but back west a bit from 225).  That was a nice surprise.

Jon Cefus
Cuyahoga Falls

“Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.”
-Douglas Adams