OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2024

From:
WANG PEGGY <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
WANG PEGGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 2024 21:40:37 -0500
Picked up 2 last birds for Jan—Black-capped Chickadee at Tall pines which I’d missed on my last visit and Mute Swan at Pick Ponds.

So just 81 for January but I didn’t chase all the possibilities—just wanted to enjoy getting out when the weather wasn’t too awful. Winter Wren at Denison was a nice Jan find and watching 2 Rough-wingeds at the OSU airport area was great (plus seeing that unusual dark belly-banded Red-tailed there as well). Best was finding that flock of Horned Larks which also had some Snow Buntings & a few Lapland Longspurs near Tagg Rd—bitterly cold wind but a treat to see on the snowy corn stubble fields. 4 male Ring-necked Pheasants at Pick Ponds was cool also.

The feeders at Tall Pines were fairly quiet & I didn’t see the Orange-crowned Warbler today. But the Black-capped came in a few times and I was able to see it side by side with a Carolina. No Tree Sparrows today just White-throated (and mobs of House Sparrows). One N Harrier over the fields across Richardson Rd plus a vocal Red-shouldered. Saw 2 kestrels on the wires while I was driving to Tall Pines.

Pick Ponds had some ducks altho nothing new for me: Ring-necked, mallard, N Shoveler, Green-winged Teal, Gadwall. 2 trumpeter swans and 3 Mute Swans. A Great Blue Heron flew by as I was leaving. Another N Harrier. No Barn Owl & I also didn’t see any Bald Eagles.

Peggy Wang
Granville
Sent from my iPad