OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2007

From:
Ruth Richards <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ruth Richards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jun 2007 16:29:08 -0700
I reached the Brass Ring Golf Club about 10:30am
today.  As soon as I arrived it started raining and
continued until 2pm.  Within five minutes I spotted a
hawk-like shape on the ground under a tree just inside
the golf course grounds.  Could it be so easy?  No.
It was a Broad-winged Hawk.  Nice views, though.  Soon
after, I almost hit a Wild Turkey hen which ran in
front of my van on Keller Road.  A deer crossed the
road three times while I waited.  I settled back with
some birding books, sure the "brief showers" (as
forecasted) would soon end.  There were lots of
Eastern Bluebirds around, and a Brown Thrasher.  A
Song Sparrow was feeding a pushy Cowbird fledgling.  A
groundskeeper motored by in a golfcart and I asked him
if he knew about the Kite.  He said it had been flying
over the course all morning (before the rain) and that
ODNR people had been there earlier taking photos of it
perched in a tree.  When the rain became lighter, I
went to the clubhouse to ask more questions.  The only
one who knew of the bird was a man in the pro shop
(the pro?).  I told him I knew there was a tournament
going on this day (I'd been told), but I asked if I
could come back another day and rent a cart to search
for the Kite (per suggestions by Whan's post and a
golfcourse employee).  He said only if I was playing
golf.  I asked if I could simply pay the golf AND
greens fees without playing.  He said no.  I had to
play golf if I rented a cart.  I thanked him and left,
wondering why they would allow ODNR to draw more
attention to the Kite with photos/articles if they
wanted to discourage people from trying to see the
bird.  They could probably make a lot of money if they
let birders pay to briefly look for the Kite during
slow times for golf play.  Ah, well.  As the sun came
out I parked on Keller close to the entrance road.  I
was soon joined by some Amishmen (and a non-Amish
driver) from Holmes County.  Shortly after, we all got
a look at the Kite, soaring far overhead.  They had a
scope which they let me share.  I could only identify
the Kite by it's tail, but its unique diving for
insects in the air led me to believe it was, indeed,
the Kite.  I'd hoped to get a look at its pale head
but it was too far away.  A White-eyed Vireo chattered
at me from a nearby bush, annoyed I was so close.  At
least I had great looks at it, if not the Kite.  And I
met some nice new friends!