From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Apr 2010 20:37:47 -0400
It appears that the male Yellow-headed Blackbird, probably the farthest east in Ohio that one has ever been recorded, may have been just passing thru. It has not been seen for the past four days. The Franklin Square area is in one of my wife Denise's and my Breeding Bird Atlas Blocks; so we will be on the lookout for this elusive beauty in the future. Credit for this wonderful find goes to Susan Fader, who with her birding knowledge, was immediately aware of what she saw at 6PM tuesday evening, April 13th, in the marsh behind her home. If not for her the bird would have went undetected! On wednesday I was contacted, and told the bird had visited her backyard feeder for several short visits. After my arrival at home after work, Denise and I drove the ten miles to try and see it. It was not at the feeder, but the yellow head was easily found in the marsh across from the bench described in an earlier post. On thursday, April 15th, it was seen at the backyard feeder at 8AM, 10:45AM, and by us from 5:32PM to 5:35PM. Three minutes of great viewing! Photos were taken for documentation. Apparently this was the last time the bird was seen. On a complimentary note about Susan, she was excited about her find and ready to accomodate visitors in her backyard if the bird would have stayed!

I am also including with this post a little information about The Franklin Square Marsh, and a story relative to the area that will probably amaze most birders. The marsh is about 2.5 miles long and up to 1/4 mile wide paralleling Little Beaver Creek. The Greenway bicycle trail bisects a portion of it. Historically there was a large Great Blue Heron Rookery nearby, but no more! If you visit the area, you may notice that there seems to be a lack of Great Blue Herons; like none! For good reason! Several years ago while atlasing I was approached by residents from a local campground. They wondered if I knew about the owner of the adjacent, recently opened Fish Farm, shooting Great Blue Herons, and supposedly other species. I was not! And now for the things we would never believe category; I contacted The Ohio Division of Wildlife and they informed me they were aware of the situation, but the Fish Farm had been issued a federal permit allowing them to legally remove any Great Blue Heron that jeopardized or threatened their business. Bird protection! Sometimes! Of note: On the site of the Fish Farm, Denise and I recorded our first American Bittern in 1973.

If anyone is interested in more details about the Heron soap opera, contact me at the above e-mail address. Do not address this issue on the Ohio Listserve!!!

Bob Lane/Damascus