OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2013

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Nov 2013 19:00:32 -0500
I hiked around this southeast Columbus MetroPark this morning, finding that winter birds have settled in, with lots of woodpeckers, creepers, and sparrows.  I later stopped at parks along nearby Big Walnut Creek (Big Walnut Park, Whitehall Community Park), but had little that was new.  Highlights included:

Hawks - several Red-tails were lurking in Blacklick, but there was also an adult Red-shouldered around the overflow picnic area.

Barred Owl - 1 bird was sunning itself on a snag along the eastern part of the Maple Trail loop

Red-headed Woodpeckers - 4-5 birds continue to forage around the Buttonbush Trail at Blacklick, and I also found juvies at both Big Walnut and Whitehall Community park.  There appears to be a big influx of them underway in Central Ohio.

Sapsucker - at least 1 was around Ashton Pond area of Blacklick Woods
Pileated Woodpecker - 1 was feeding along the Buttonbush Loop of Blacklick Woods
Brown Creepers - good numbers, with 5 at Blacklick Woods and another 3 at Big Walnut Park
Winter Wren - 2 were calling along Big Walnut creek in Big Walnut Park
E.Bluebirds - small flocks were at most stops, including the picnic area at Blacklick and in Big Walnut Park
Yellow-rumped Warblers - good #s (16-18) were along the Maple Loop in Blacklick Woods early
E.Towhees - 7-8 were around the trails in Blacklick Woods, indicating a local influx of winter birds
Tree Sparrow - at least 1 was around the Nature Center feeders at Blacklick Woods
Fox Sparrow - 1 was actually singing in the scrub around Ashton Pond at Blacklick Woods
White-throated Sparrows - small flocks were active and singing in many locations
Juncos - small flocks were at most locations
Finches - try as I might, I couldn't find any siskins or Purple Finches among lots of Goldfinches and House Finches