OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2018

From:
Charles Bombaci <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Charles Bombaci <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Jun 2018 23:10:30 +0000
  Today Shaune Skinner, AndySchneider and I launched the H.M.S. Hoover and monitored the northeastern partsof Hoover Reservoir. From the start we had an omen that we were in for a goodday of birding. As we headed north from the launch ramp our first species wasto our wonderment a Common Loon in breeding plumage. We almost didn’t pay closeattention as there were numerous Double Crested Cormorants around. Andyrealized it was a Common Loon and we slowly boated past it wondering what itwas doing on Hoover Reservoir in June.  Shortly afterward we spottedan adult Bald Eagle soaring over the water. It made several graceful swoopsnear the surface and then flew up to the top of a tall tree where there was thenest with the other adult on it. This was a new nest location. The nest I havebeen watching for years was abandoned earlier this year. It appears the pairhas relocated and is retrying to nest this year. My main objective was tomonitor the Prothonotary Warbler population and determine population trends,territory locations and look for individuals that were banded in previousyears. In that regard it was a very good day. We observed 23 males and 5females in the area we checked today. Ten banded individuals were observed.  Yellow-billed Cuckoos were inabundance as we observed 13.  We located multiplewoodpecker nest locations. Some had young outside the nest looking for ahandout whereas the fun was the sites where the young were sticking their headsout to take in their new world. These included Red-headed Woodpeckers (11),Red-bellied Woodpeckers, Downy Woodpeckers and Pileated Woodpeckers (5). Along with the 2 pair ofOsprey in Galena, both on a nest platform and using a natural nest, we observedother Osprey far south of Galena, close to the Sunbury Road causeway. In total we observed 56species, not bad for mid-June. Charlie Bombaci        Hoover Nature Preserve