OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2015

From:
Steve Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Mar 2015 14:51:43 -0400
It's getting just plain DUCKY up here at Killdeer and Big Island.  IF you
are heading up this way, the ponds are still frozen pretty well, but the
fields are flooded, so concentrate on them.  Pond 27(1) had a few Tundra
Swans hiding in it way in the back along with  Geese, Mallards and
Pintails.  But there were more across the street in the flooded field.
Herr Rd down in Big Island had the typical spring flooded field right by
the road.  The flooded area right behind it that is along 95 had nothing
but Ring-necked Ducks...and Tundra Swans...There are so many flooded areas,
I keep thinking that Snipe and Yellowlegs are around the corner.  The
turnover from Winter to Spring has begun!

Regarding my list below,  I was happy to see a LEOW today (I had forgotten
how small overall they were), and also to be able to show my wife (who has
still not been able to get the Saw-whet that is here)  I won't disclose
where it is...There are enough signs on the ground to point the observant
where to look up...I leave the decision to go looking for it, and showing
to others up to the discretion of each birder.  I do have a documentation
shot if needed by Cardinal or some other publication...but I won't post it
yet so as to keep it's location as hidden as possible...maybe later in the
Spring, when we are sick of Warblers, and  it has flown back to Canada,
I'll post it on Facebook. :-)  We did collect a pellet so that my daughter
and I can dissect it later...any pointers...I have rubber gloves. :-D

Lists below.

Happy Birding, and God Bless!

Steve J

Killdeer Plains Wildlife Area, Wyandot, US-OH
Mar 13, 2015 9:45 AM - 11:15 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 mile(s)
30 species

Canada Goose  200
Trumpeter Swan  2
Tundra Swan  30
Gadwall  6
American Wigeon  12
Mallard  30
Northern Pintail  30
Ring-necked Pheasant  1
Turkey Vulture  1
Northern Harrier  1
Bald Eagle  1
Red-tailed Hawk  2
Rough-legged Hawk  1
Killdeer  20
Ring-billed Gull  6
Mourning Dove  10
Long-eared Owl  1     Well hidden, saw pellets on ground....well fed.
Location will not be disclosed.
Red-bellied Woodpecker  2
Northern Flicker  1
American Kestrel  4
Blue Jay  4
American Crow  8
Horned Lark  29
American Robin  14
European Starling  15
American Tree Sparrow  35
Song Sparrow  3
Dark-eyed Junco  8
Northern Cardinal  6
Red-winged Blackbird  50

View this checklist online at

Big Island Wildlife Area--Herr Rd., Marion, US-OH
Mar 13, 2015 11:45 AM - 12:05 PM
Protocol: Stationary
19 species

Canada Goose  50