OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2018

From:
Birding Ecotours <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Birding Ecotours <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Dec 2018 13:47:52 -0500
Greetings, Ohio birders!

Please do join me on a free birding outing near Columbus on Wednesday
afternoon/early evening. I did see a Short-eared Owl there yesterday at 5
pm, and the harriers have been around for a while, so this bodes well for
the outing.!

Short-eared Owl, Northern Harrier, winter ducks and more at Battelle Darby
Metro Park near Columbus.
Wednesday, December 5, 2018 from 3 pm to 6 pm

We'll meet at the parking for the Wet Prairie access (
<http://birdingecotours.acemlna.com/lt.php?s=759938fae76342c191ce92a07372897
5&i=87A149A4A3409> 1378 Darby Creek Drive) at 3 pm. Please bring waterproof
hiking boots or wellies as the first section of the trail is often muddy.
Also, this trip will still be "on" come rain or snow but just dress warmly
if needed! We plan to walk the Teal Trail in search of species that move
here in winter, which can include lots of wildfowl. If you can't make it in
time for the walk, please do meet us at 4.30 for 4.45 pm at the mound at the
parking lot: we plan to position ourselves here to scan the expansive
prairies and wetlands for Northern Harrier and, around dusk (sunset is at
5:07 pm), hopefully Short-eared Owls as they start hunting! When it gets
completely dark, you'll be able to go home for dinner hopefully with some
good winter species on your lists.

Please Note: This is a free outing, but we recommend that you donate $10 (or
more) to the
<http://birdingecotours.acemlna.com/lt.php?s=759938fae76342c191ce92a07372897
5&i=87A149A4A3410> Black Swamp Bird Observatory for their amazing bird
conservation work in Ohio. If you do opt to donate money to this
organization, you can either bring cash (and we'll have a register for you
to note your name and the amount) or a check made out to "BSBO". We also
highly recommend you join the Columbus Audubon Society
(https://columbusaudubon.org/) which I lead quite a number of these free
outings in central Ohio for.

Cheers, good birding and I hope to see you there! All our welcome!

Chris

---

Chris Lotz

www.birdingecotours.com <http://www.birdingecotours.com/>

 <https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birding-Ecotours/186476854747995>
cid:image005.png@01CD7B9D.C8E4EB60   <http://twitter.com/#!/BirdingEcotours>
cid:image006.png@01CD7B9D.C8E4EB60   <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
cid:image007.png@01CD7B9D.C8E4EB60

US cell phone: +1-614-969-8925 (Eastern Time)

Cell phone for text messages when outside of North America (I travel a
lot!): +27 72 635 1501

Dublin, Ohio, USA

See http://birdingecotours.com/contact/ for office contacts in South Africa,
the UK and Peru