OHIO-BIRDS Archives

September 2023

From:
Sandra Keller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sandra Keller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Sep 2023 15:28:30 -0400
My usual late morning start. Commitments this morning. Birds are around, just
Takes a bit longer to see them! They are settled in feeding and resting. The 2
New ones were RB grosbeak - thanks Marianne! She told me where she had
Some at Gilmore the previous few days. Found one right away feasting
On the honeysuckle berries. Nice to know birds do eat those berries.
And Northern Waterthrush. Lots of edges at the ponds for birds to take
Advantage of. It was Nashville Warbler day - I had 4. And a Yellow-rumped
Warbler…. It is late sept! Tennessee, common yellowthroat, Maggie’s.
Yea! Still missing birds - but 200 was the goal.

The cattail Marsh there at the platform is the spot to search for shorebirds now.
I hope it lasts! It is still shorebird season for some species! I will enjoy when at Gilmore.
Scope is needed.

192 Great Egrets!! 2 pecs, 10 greater, 9 lesser yellowlegs, 21 killdeer, 1 Golden plover.
This is a different one than the NE pond juvenile. This is an adult molting.

Monday early afternoon I start the drive east. Will stay overnight close to Hocking
Hills and be at the visitors center at dawn tues. morning. 🍀🍀
Hopefully the flock is sticking!

Please post if not seen Monday morning.

Good birding all. Crossbill would be bird 300 for Ohio for me.

Sandra Keller

Sent from my iPad mini