OHIO-BIRDS Archives

November 2014

From:
Darlene Sillick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Darlene Sillick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Nov 2014 15:19:46 -0500
Please join us as a Columbus Audubon/GIAC member and/or guest, as we welcome
Rebecca Rose, Columbus Zoo's Field Conservation Manager to share about the
Columbus Zoo's Commitment to Conservation this Tuesday, November 18, 2014,
from 7:00pm - 9:00pm

The loss of species is the folly our descendants are least likely to forgive
us. (E.O. Wilson)

Across the globe, wild animals are struggling to survive in human-dominated
landscapes. If we are to protect precious species from extinction and
preserve critical ecosystems for future generations, we all must (in the
words of environmental activist Gary Snyder), "find our place on the planet,
dig in, and take responsibility from there." The mission of the Columbus Zoo
includes supporting grassroots conservation projects to protect the wild
cousins of our beloved zoo animals - gorillas, tigers, elephants, rhinos,
and lesser known animals like amphibians and freshwater turtles. Through the
Conservation Fund, the Zoo identifies local leaders in wildlife range
countries and provides support for their important work protecting wildlife
and wild places. From addressing severe human-wildlife conflict to rescuing
endangered primates from the illegal wildlife trade, a Zoo in Ohio can
indeed be "part of the solution."

Rebecca Rose is a 30-year veteran of the fields of wildlife conservation and
education. She oversees the Zoo's conservation grants program, which awards
more than $1 million annually to projects based in 30 countries.

Rebecca serves on the boards of the Pan African Sanctuary Alliance (PASA)
based in the U.S. and Friends of Bonobos - a support organization for the
world's only sanctuary for endangered bonobos in the Democratic Republic of
Congo. She serves on the steering committee for the D.C.-based
Human-Wildlife Conflict Collaboration (HWCC) as well as the Columbus-based
Ohio Bird Conservation Initiative (OBCI). She is a founder of the Zoos and
Aquariums Committing to Conservation conference (ZACC) which brings together
zoo professionals and field conservationists to strengthen zoo support for
wildlife conservation around the globe.

7:00 - 7:15 pm: CA Short Program: Doug Warmolts, Columbus Zoo, on
Partnerships for Wildlife Conservation in Ohio

7:15 - 7:30 pm: Social time, light refreshments and bird quiz (winner gets a
nice prize). Thanks to Dr. Angelika Nelson for the loan of study skins for
the bird quiz arranged by Nadya Bennett, CA Program-co-chair

7:30 - 9:00 pm: announcements and program, then 2 door prizes

This Columbus Audubon programs is free and open to the public. Programs are
held at the Grange Insurance Audubon Center at 505 West Whittier Street in
the Scioto-Audubon Metro Park on the Whittier Peninsula

Please Note! - There is no Columbus Audubon program in December.

SAVE THE DATE - CENTRAL OHIO CHRISTMAS BIRD COUNTS  -  contact the compiler
below if you can help!

December 14th, 2014 - Delaware Reservoir CBC

Contact: Rich Bradley

December 14th, 2014 - Columbus CBC

Contact: Rob Thorn

614.471.3051

December 20th, 2014 - Hoover Reservoir CBC

Contact: Lee McBride

December 20th, 2014 - Buckeye Lake CBC

Contact: Jeff White

614.425.8016

December 28th, 2014 - Killdeer Plains CBC

Contact: Ed Lux

740.360.7810

December 31st, 2014 - O'Shaughnessy Reservoir CBC

Contact: Darlene Sillick

614.288.3696

January 1st, 2015 - Kingston CBC

Contact: Brad Sparks